Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Wallpaper on the Ceiling?

Crazy huh?

What's even crazier is my sister gave up a whole weekend of her life to help me do it!

And neither of us had ever wallpapered before.



It's a small galley kitchen. I figured no amount of decorating tricks could make it appear any bigger so why not cozy it up all the way! The ceiling is ivy with red berries. The wall and border look much brighter here than they really are. This photo was right after it was finished. That was 7 years ago and I still love it ~ even though I had a moment where I thought about going back to the original vintage look it had. I've decide I might use the vintage look in the sun room off the dinning room. We're finding so many cute things in the attic I have to use them somewhere!

Many of you commented on the wallpaper behind my red fruit plates on Wordless Wed./ REDnesday so I thought I should show you the whole look. The counter tops are a dark, marble-y green tile. I have a lot of plates and things on the walls now but I'm having trouble loading photos tonight so I'll save them for another day. The dinning room that you see beyond the door is now my RED dinning room that you've been seeing here and there. Beyond the arch is the now "Blonde" living room.

Thanks sis, that really was a lot of hard work but I've never laughed so much in all my life. I was flattered when you said you'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Dawn

18 comments:

Stacey said...

Dawn, years ago we went to a model home that was wallpapered on the ceiling. I will never forget it because I thought it was awesome! I bet you do just love it.

blushing rose said...

You brave souls! I'm like Lucy & Ethel hanging paper ... that is why I am the 'queen of writing checks'! It is beautiful ... TTFN ~Marydon

Carla said...

How smart!! Bet you two know your wallpapering stuff now!!

Sheryl said...

Dawn, thank you for visiting my blog! I'm happy to have found yours! Yes, Dexter is a huge part of our lives now. We cannot remember life without him. Our kids are so attached to him, especially our 16 year old. He was gone camping for 2 nights and realized that was too long to be away from his dog! And, of course, Dexter is part of Jamie, whom we miss so very much.

Sheryl

~~Carol~~ said...

What a great sister you have! My sister just told me she wants to take the wallpaper in her kitchen down, and then paint it, and wouldn't it be great if her sister helped her!I just laughed, and didn't say anything... she's on her own!
I love the wallpaper on the ceiling, and I admire anyone who dares to do something other than the basic white ceiling!

Gwen said...

I would be afraid to try wallpaper, but it looks so great in your room! I can picture it now, Murphy Grace, his fur all sticky and black strands sticking out of every seam...not pretty.

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Girl I think it looks great...May you have a wonderful weekend my friend...and Way to go Sis...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Beverly said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and Pink Saturday.

I think your kitchen looks charming. My girlfriend had wallpapered ceilings in one of her kitchens.

Bellamere Cottage said...

Mmmmmmmmmm.........LOVING it! That's what they say....if you have a small room, just make it a jewel box...and you sure have!

Hugs,
Spencer

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Wallpaper! I love it! And now I am considering papering the little ceiling in my own kitchen! Just darling! Cozy is my middle name...and seems it is yours also!
:) Thank you so much for your sweet visits...I try to visit someone each night. I am so glad you like the lamp shade. :)
Hugs,
Mona

Sue said...

Dawn, the wallpapering job turned out terrific! I never want help papering, but a ceiling is definitely a two person job! In OH most ceilings are textured, so you rarely see papered ceilings. Regional thing, kinda like the knock down textured walls in CA. Is it still hot out there? Hugs, Sue

City Girl Country Heart said...

Wow! You have a great sister!!
I have never seen wallpaper on the ceiling, but it works there!! So cool :)
Enjoy your Sunday !
Stephanie

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

Hi Dawn,
I just found your blog through Becky's. My SIL did the ceiling of her kitchen and it looked wonderful. You and your sis did a treat job!
Patricia :o)

deedee said...

That looks really cool!!!

Manuela@Pleasures of Homemaking said...

Oh my gosh, I bet that was a hard job doing the ceiling! I hate painting a ceiling I can't even imagine papering one! It looks great!

Manuela

English Cottage in Georgia said...

Dawn, love your kitchen ceiling. I have wallpapered before but am not sure, I would be able to do a ceiling. Imagining my frustration of trying to get a plumb line is making my laugh.
Great job...!

Anonymous said...

:) Good times. I remember driving up that weekend. I was wearing my red beannie with the puff ball on top and a guy tried to pick me up in a burger king where I stopped to pee. You laughed and said I looked like a crazy elf. Then you put me to work. I crack myself up. I would do it again. Love ya!
Ava

Kathleen Grace said...

I think it looks fabulous. I saw a wallpapered ceiling in a magazine a fgew years ago and fell in love with it. I can barely hang paper on the walls, how on earth do you get it to stick on the ceiling?